Skip to content

E-Cigarette Poison Warning

Puppy Poisoned by E-Cigarette

Vets have been urged to warn pet-owners about the danger of E-Cigarettes to their pets, following the death of a 12 week old puppy from nicotine poisoning.

A Vet in Cornwall worked through the night to try and save the Terrier Puppy that had bitten into a capsule of an Electronic Cigarette.

Unfortunately, despite prompt treatment the puppy died. The BVA issued the following advice: "This is a tragic case and very worrying when you consider how many people are now using E-Cigarettes. Nicotine poisoning acts very quickly and can be fatal, especially when large doses are involved. E-cigarettes contain sufficient quantities of nicotine to kill a small animal very quickly.

If you use E-cigarettes, we recommend storing all equipment safely out of reach of your pet. If you suspect your pet has chewed or eaten an

E-cigarette, or any toxic substance, then it is vital you contact a vet for treatment as quickly as possible."

BVA understands the female puppy was a recently re-homed Staffordshire cross.

Article taken from Veterinary Times

Back Forward Home Print Close

Please wait... loading